Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Last few Weeks

My terrible apologies for not creating a post in about two weeks! These last two weeks have been so incredibly busy I have completely lost track of time!
We have had the Christmas Concert, End of the Year Field Trip, End of the Year Parties, Koromiko Athletics, Team and Staff Meetings and Parties, and lots and lots of goodbyes! Its been so crazy that I have not even realized that tomorrow is my last day at Swanson School! Tears are starting to form as I realize I will no longer be teaching with this amazing staff or working with the kids that I have come to love. I packed up my room last night and am getting ready for my trip down to the South Island for my last five days here in New Zealand. It hasn't set in yet that I'll be leaving here soon...I guess I'll just have to come back!
Oh this is a great little story: Yesterday I was chatting with two students about who their teachers will be next year. We were having a lovely chat about what they thought about moving on to Year 7 and the Totara team, when one of them asked me "Miss Scheibe, who do you have in your class next year?" I told them I won't be having a class because I'll be going home. Then the other chimed in "Well yes, you live with Miss Bishop." I said, "Yes, right now I live with Miss Bishop, but I have to go back home to my home in America." They looked at me blankly for a minute and then the first boy simply said "Why? Aren't you going to stay here with us?"
It was sooo sweet and made me smile! I really don't want to leave!
My smile grows bigger knowing that Bruce (the principal here at Swanson) has personally complimented me on my teaching here and has told me that if I ever return to New Zealand I will have a job at Swanson!
It's been tough saying goodbye as well because Rebecca is leaving too. She is heading off for her OE (Overseas Experience - a common trip New Zealanders take to the UK for about 5 years). So everyone has been saying goodbye to both of us. I am hopeful and excited though that Rebecca and I will meet up again, maybe in New York one year for Christmas!
I have so much to say and so many thoughts going through my head, but it is 10:00pm here and I have just arrived home from Rebecca, Fiona, and my goodbye party so I am tired and need sleep before my last day with the kids tomorrow. I promise I will have a better blog entry, a good long one, soon. Probably a great reflecting entry on the 26th of December after I have arrived safely back home in Wisconsin.
The lasting thought right now is that I am loving it here in New Zealand. I don't want to leave Swanson School and I will miss my friends, colleagues, and students that I have met while working here in NZ. I am excited though to bring my talents and new experiences back to Wisconsin!

No comments: